View Single Post

Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Liked 994 Times in 442 Posts
Default Dillon RL 450, Should I? Pictures Added

Need a little help from those that have the experience. I've been thinking about starting reloading for a little while now. I'm about to order the Lyman's 49th book to start learning, maybe some others if you all have some suggestions. I'm mildly mechanical but really like to tinker, and have no problems completely striping my smith revolvers and my others and reassembling without issues, typically.

My question is that my dad has a dillon RL450 that he bought around 1982-3 and has been mildly used and stored in plastic for the last 15 years. He doesn't use and has offered it up to me if I want it. If I did take it I was thinking about sending it to Dillon to inspect and correct any issues first, hopefully warranty work. I know there are upgrades available to bring it to a 550b spec, not sure about these but am considering the upgrades. I've also read that a single stage press is in order for a newbie and I agree with this as that was the direction I was going before my dad made the offer. It will be used for handgun calibers as I'm not much a rifle guy, likely 9mm, 45acp, 38/357 and .44, maybe others later. Would like a little advice or direction to help along my path and start of a new hobby. I'm a pretty casual shooter and this machine will not be used much for how much I shoot but that could increase in the future as well, especially if I'm saving a little money on ammo, but I look at it as a hobby that I think I will moderately enjoy. What advice can you guys offer?
Thanks

Last edited by 03Fatboy; 12-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.