View Single Post

Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
US Veteran

Liked 592 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3200 View Post
Other than your example of center mass, I don't see how your example is applicable to sight setup because those other sighting options are so target size and distance dependent. For instance, how do you use a 6oclock hold on a deer? I think your example is what happens when some takes a class and is shown a technique for a specific situation an misinterpret it to be a general technique. Bullseye target competitors may use a 6ocklock hold but their sights are adjustable and set for a specific target size at a specific range. Not a technique to use for any other situation.
I completely agree with this, it's very target size and distance dependent.

However, I spent years punching paper with rifles and pistols with adjustable sights, and it's very difficult for me to train my reactions and muscle memory to do something else. I have learned that all the 3rd gens with fixed sights will shoot low with any kind of six o'clock hold, so I have to modify my sight picture.

The real problem I have with any slow-ish aimed firing at bigger targets like silhouettes, is that the aiming point is so danged large, it easy to make groups that look like the pistol is inaccurate. Trying to figure out where in that big target area to cover with the front dot is difficult if you have to think about it, there is no solid reference point.

But, if I stick a 1" flourescent dot in the middle of the center mass portion of the target, my groups magically shrink to very acceptable accuracy levels. It's the old adage about "aim small, hit small".

When doing tactical drills with fast shooting, I have no problem sticking that front sight on the proper place to get top scoring hits. We're not looking for 1" groups.