View Single Post

Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Liked 116 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
I 100% agree with you guys...these loads have proved save in all my guns and have been worked up from several grains below those I listed. With the H110 loads:

"With full loads in H110 it seem if you put enough powder in the case so that the base of the bullet is sitting right on top of the powder so there is no air space the loads show no pressure signs, have a very low standard deviation and extreme accuracy. The load I was shooting today from a 657 Mountain Gun was 23 grains of H110 with a 210 Sierra HP. Empties just dropped out. Velocity is 1325 fps."

From what I have found with H110 the distance from the crimping groove to the base of the bullet detemines how much H110 goes in the case. Take the Cast Performance Bullet Co. 250 and 255 grain bullets. One would think that the 250 could use more powder than the 255 but that is not the case. The crimping groove to base distance of the 250 is greater than the 255 which has far more nose out of the case than the 250. Max (for me) with the 250 is 20 grains but the 255 with take 22 grains... I have not clocked these loads out of the same gun but they are going to be fairly close.

One has to also remember that even guns made by the same manufacturer can have different throat diameters, groove size, a constriced area where the barrel is screwed into the frame...all of that can effect pressure.

I use a chrono when developing all top end loads to watch for sudden velocity jumps or when adding powder suddenly only adds a few FPS....and the primer and how the gun ejects the empties... Is it perfect..no but it has worked for me the now 45 years I have been reloading...

Bob

ps...

Jack...if you are serious about reloading, invest in a chronograph..even a cheap Chrony is better than nothing. You will be very surprised to find many of the published data is often not even close to what you are getting from "your" fiearm. As to 2400...not sure but most people use it for cast bullets. I tried it a LONG time ago and was totally unimpressed. Pressures go up fast when top loads are reached and a lot of unburned powder if loads are not near top end...
The last comments about the pressure curve of 2400 run counter to my experience with this powder, which I've used in three magnum calibers since the mid-70s. I've found it very predictable in terms of pressure as top loads are reached, less sensitive in that regard than 231, H110, and others. It is definitely true that 2400 likes the top end, both in terms of accuracy and powder residue. It is the most accurate powder I've used in the .41 Magnum, with all three of my M57s.