View Single Post

Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked 977 Times in 467 Posts

The Mech-Tech is available in the two formats mentioned, in a variety of pistol calibers. 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, .460 Rowland (1911 only), and 45ACP are among the calibers offered. (Others may have been added since I had mine built two years ago.) Since it's "just an upper", and carries no unique serial number, it can be ordered online and delivered via UPS ground.

The lower unit slides into place and is fastened via the same method as it does with its own upper unit. The blowback action lets the heavy bolt slam back against a stiff rubber block behind it, so heavy loads aren't an issue. My .460R will also shoot 45ACP ammo, which is necessarily loaded hot enough to work the action. Factory 45 defensive loads work fine, target and softball loads do not. Just a guess, but I'd bet the 10mm would also work with 40S&W loads, since the shell is held in place by the extractor anyway.

If I ever build another one of these for a Home Defense rifle, I'd get a Glock 20 lower in 10mm, since each magazine holds 15 rounds. With light bullets in the Ten, velocities over 2,000 fps seem easily attainable from the 16" barrel.

Accuracy has been astounding with the ammo it likes........1/2" groups at 50 yards aren't the norm, but have been observed from more than one rifle. Reliability is mostly based on the use of good magazines and ammo powerful enough to move the heavy bolt. Ejection can be, shall we say, "vigorous" with stout loads, but not as bad as most AK's. Milder loads land a foot or two away. Loads with too little poop don't make it out of the action, and get smooshed.

This was 5 shots at 25 yards with a 6X scope.

More info here: MechTech - Store

Last edited by papajohn428; 12-04-2011 at 08:43 AM.