View Single Post

Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Liked 1,610 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post

From what I have found with H110 the distance from the crimping groove to the base of the bullet detemines how much H110 goes in the case. Take the Cast Performance Bullet Co. 250 and 255 grain bullets. One would think that the 250 could use more powder than the 255 but that is not the case. The crimping groove to base distance of the 250 is greater than the 255 which has far more nose out of the case than the 250.
This is true whenever you switch bullets , especially cast bullets. Some have a different , what I call 'shank length'. This is very critical with some powders which are sensitive to being compressed , or load density.

H110/W-296 are powders which perform best with a slightly compressed charge. My favorite .41 powder , Blue Dot , does NOT like being compressed. The Lyman book listed a max charge of 16grs with the Lyman 410459 bullet , a Keith-style bullet with long nose and short shank. I've used this load for years with no problems.
However , some novice reloaders simply looked at the bullet weight and figured it would be safe with those 210-215gr bullets , which had more shank and compressed the charge more , resulting in much higher pressure.

Lyman even lists a max of 14.6grs with their 410610 gas-check SWC and most 210gr jacketed bullets list 14grs as max.

Add to this that some recent lots of Blue Dot were said to be a bit faster burning.