View Single Post

Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 AM

Liked 289 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
There must be studys and statistics somewhere. I think far too much is made of how many rounds the gun has. We are talking civilian encounters here arent we? I would like to hear just how often if at all any gun fight between a civilian and a BG went past a couple rounds!
I know the possibility never cross`s my mind. This aint like a grade B western where we get behind a water trough and try to hold out for the cavary or hero shows up! I cant say when I ever read of a shootout like that! So takeing away THAT senerio, I see no advantage at all with a auto.
Now I know there is also romantics out there with a 12 year old mentality that think they need a backup besides, and a fighting knife to gut the remaining aggressers. Maybe I would be half that bad if I lived in bagdad or detroit myself.
I agree with your assessment of the threat level. Most situations, simply having a gun and getting off an accurate shot or two will resolve it or you will lose.

The problem is that revolvers are NOT what they used to be and gun fights are not always simple one on one altercations.

1. Revolvers are now NOT typical police guns. They are COMMERCIAL consumer products. Companies are NOT going to work hard to keep the Mean Time Between Failure down on their designs. Costs are now a bigger concern than MTBF because a problem in revolver reliability won't decrease police sales.

2. You are likely to encounter a long gun using criminal with greater restrictions on handgun sales than long gun sales in many states. In my state long gun sales between individuals are allowed, handguns are registered. A criminal can more easily get a long gun. You may need more rounds to compensate.

3. Criminals attack in groups. IDPA teaches you to deal with several targets. Beat downs happen on 2, 3, 4, or more to one.

4. Pistols especially LEO popular designs have better reliability, equal combat accuracy and are easier to shoot well and fast.

The BIG advantagee revolvers have are SAFE ADMINISTRATION and ease of seeing the loaded state. This is a big advantage in the home and with less skilled users.

I feel a lot safer if my poorly skilled neighbor owned a revolver rather than a semi-auto he dry fires pointed at the wall facing my house.