View Single Post

Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Liked 402 Times in 163 Posts

The shell plates are designed to grab your cartridges by the rim, aligning them with the dies, and preventing them from tipping during the reloading process. It's a precise fit.

You'll need a shell plate that matches the head of each cartridge you intend to reload. Some are usable for several calibers that share the same case head dimensions (example includes .45ACP and .308win which have the same case head dimensions).

Dillon provides a table on their website that you can use to identify the plates you have, and you can figure out all the calibers that they will work for.

The brass pins are also matched to the shell plates, so that they will provide the correct tolerance for retaining the cartridges as they turn around the press. I'm not familiar with documentation that describes the numbering of the pins, but I'm sure you can figure out which pins go with which shell plate since you have only two plates.

Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Fatboy View Post
I noticed the indexing star was missing and no where to be found as shown in your photo. I think the brass pins are in the bag in the photo below? I do have two shell plates, one installed with a number 1 stamped into it and the other in the bag with a 2 stamped on it, why 2 and I think it's called a shell plate, maybe not?