View Single Post

Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Liked 334 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavinsky View Post
you've got your numbers mixed up, its 19 - 3 and earlier that have pinned barrels and are non crush fit, the numbers vary for either model

although supposedly the crush fitting thing started a little earlier than 1980, not really sure when exactly so the latter 19 -3s could be crush fit as well
Per the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, Model 19 engineering change dash 5: "Eliminate cylinder counterbore and pinned barrel; small change in cylinder length to 1.62"." Now, I'm sure there were a few models that right around the change that don't match up exactly as the last of the pinned barrels were used, but generally 19-4s are pinned and 19-5s are not. Either way, dash 3s (1967-1977) are not crush fit, but they've suffered the problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavinsky
with my pre 1980 rule its because of what happened with the 686 my father bought back then, first 6 shots of magnum ammo and the thing locked up on him and I've been hearing this and that report about smiths not being as good as they used to be with the modern ones and ones of the same era as the 686, and about 4 other 686's with the same other problem on here.
Not exactly a representative sample you have there. Perhaps your father's 686 needed the "M" modification.
If you are so against 1980 and onward Smiths, why exactly are you hanging out in the "1980 to the present" forum?