View Single Post

Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 PM

Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47D View Post
Per the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, Model 19 engineering change dash 5: "Eliminate cylinder counterbore and pinned barrel; small change in cylinder length to 1.62"." Now, I'm sure there were a few models that right around the change that don't match up exactly as the last of the pinned barrels were used, but generally 19-4s are pinned and 19-5s are not. Either way, dash 3s (1967-1977) are not crush fit, but they've suffered the problem too.

Not exactly a representative sample you have there. Perhaps your father's 686 needed the "M" modification.
If you are so against 1980 and onward Smiths, why exactly are you hanging out in the "1980 to the present" forum?

the gunblasts guy's model 19 was aquired in in 1973 as a - 3 model so I'm just going by what I know as he's had the thing from the getgo and hasnt tried hotrodded ammo in it like some of the previous owners could have potentally done with those examples before they were bought by their current owners, so that kind of elimintates the chance of some person pushing the limits of the guns like what could have happened with the others as a legitimate failure of the gun rather than user error.

hence why I'm going off of primarily his example there and hickok45's with the 29' as I trust both of their opinions entirely and hickok's M29 was also one he bought new at the same time as the 19, a 1973 model

and yes I've heard his 686 was one of those and he did send it back to smith and wesson for that recall but he lost all faith in the gun and smith and wesson because of it and the K frame model 19 was first made in 1955 till about 20 years ago and I have been looking for one myself and someone was talking about the 158 grain rule and posted what I knew about it here.

plus it showed up on the new posts thing and I dont restrict myself to the pre 1980 guns on the forums, I just click on whatever someone posts that sounds interesting regardless of my feelings on the matter to see what they say.

plus I've kind of been debating weather or not to drop the rule for a few exceptions but everytime I consider it something pops up that makes me stick to my guns on that rule, no pun intended.

as honestly I have seen a few I like like the thunder ranch .45 acp but the keylock and those customer service complaints just dont fill me with a lot of confidence in them.

plus that K22 was sent to springfield MA twice and came back the same both times and its just like okay 50/50 shot I get a good one, do I really want to risk getting a bad one that will never get properly fixed?

and then its marked as being sent back to the factory and the value goes down when I try to get rid of it?

I mean yeah I dont like rugers, I dont like their triggers and given the choice I'd take an old smith over a new ruger everyday but if I had to choose between a new smith and wesson revolver and a new ruger revolver I'd be inclined to go with the ruger as atleast the thing has a 90% chance of being a good one with no problems I reckon, provided its a reasonabile gun design, not that 357 magnum J frame like gun they've been making now that has apparently has had the same damn problem as the 390PD

Last edited by Kavinsky; 12-10-2011 at 10:28 PM.