View Single Post

Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,070 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Bill View Post
Would some one explain to me why the average reloader thinks he knows more about reloading than professional ballisticians?

The guys who write the manuals are highly trained and experienced professionals. I should think they know a thing or two about what they do.

Before any one flames me for this understand I know that standard primers will light off all powders. The reason for magnum primers is, I'm told, that some powders require the added fire for consistent ignition. Consistent ignition equates to more consistent pressures which lead to better accuracy.

My advice to all new reloaders is get several reloading books and FOLLOW them. I don't want to break any ones rice bowl here but following the loading data from someone with a screen name can be hazardous. Follow the books.

Rant over.

Pecos
Please explain to me why the experts list a standard SPP for HS-6 in a .38 Special and a Magnum SPP for HS-6 in a .357 Magnum?

IMO and experience HS-6 in all applications is much more accurate and consistent when combined with a magnum primer, not a standard primer. No need to be an engineer to know when your ammo is more accurate.
SWCA #3437