View Single Post

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked 791 Times in 423 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't worry about reverse engineering. Russia doesn't have the equipment. China does but to reverse engineer down to chip level, it would be easier to start from scratch. Chip manufacturers will normally print specs on their product with low level commands (instructions). A programmer (embedded) will write code then compile it to machine code and 'burn' or write it on the chip. Once the code is compiled, its very very hard to make sense of it. If someone wants to steal the code, they would have to get access to the original code. What they do is write their own code which 'emulates' the original code.

Its the very similar process of 'upgrading' firmware on any device. Its much easier to write your own code and design your own device then to try to write firmware for someone else's device. It is done sometimes, vehicle chips is one example but it usually calls for chip replacement.

What would alarm me is if the drone was stealth but it wasn't. The Chinese could always build their own drone but I guess they are not willing to put the funds into it.