View Single Post

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Model 30 .32 S&W long revolver, ammo question

My wife has inherited a model 30-1 .32S&W Long revolver from her mother. It has fired very few rounds and looks practically brand new. The serial # places date of manufacture in the mid to late 1960s according to someone on another gun forum who claims to know that sort of thing. My wife intends to keep it as her "house gun", but I have been told that the only factory .32 Long ammo that is now available is loaded down to a very low pressure level so it won't blow up any of the many thousands of 19th century vintage El Cheapo .32 hinge-frame revolvers that are still in use.

I bought dies for reloading .32 Long and have ordered some 65 grain Gold Dot HP bullets to load in new brass for her little gun. I also have a Handloader's Digest that gives updated loading data for .32 Long ammo intended only for use in modern quality-built guns in good condition that can safely handle more pressure and deliver much higher velocity than generated by the .32 Long factory ammo that's available today. According to the data the .32 Long can be safely loaded to a level not far behind the .32 H&R but it's only safe if fired in a modern steel frame gun. Speer also gives data for loading the 65 gr Gold Dot bullet in .32 Long cases to produce higher velocity loadings for that cartridge.

However, I have read elsewhere that .32 Long cartridges loaded with a heavier than normal propellant charge should not be used in modern .32 revolvers unless the gun has a heat treated steel cylinder. Therefore my question is this, does anyone reading this post know whether or not Model 30-1 revolvers were heat treated at the time this revolver was manufactured? I would like to load several hundred rounds of higher performance ammo for my wife's gun so she can practice with the same ammo it will be loaded with for serious use , but I want to make sure that it's safe in her gun. Thanks in advance for any reliable info from anyone on this matter.