View Single Post

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the info guys. I was pretty sure that even if it doesn't have a heat treated cylinder any modern steel Smith in good shape could safely handle quite a bit more pressure than the weak-sister .32 Long factory ammo that's loaded to be safe in ancient pot metal revolvers. When my ordered bullets arrive from Midway I'll go ahead and handload 20 or 30 rounds using data I found in my Handloader's Digest and try them myself before letting my wife fire it. I don't have data for the 65 grain Gold Dot bullets I have on order, but the data for 71 grain FMJ bullets should work OK for the Dots too. She has bad arthritis in her hands and can't tolerate much recoil so this little Smith will probably be all the gun she can handle. She previously had a H&R .22LR with a 2" barrel, but she now realizes that it was not adequate for stopping a deadly threat, and even the 5' rattler she killed with it while I was on the road took a long time to give up the ghost. Even a .32 Long revolver loaded with the best ammo available is still not a good manstopper. But a lot of LEOs carry little Keltec, Ruger, or Beretta .32 semiautos as BUGs, and according to my cousin's LEO husband when loaded with 60 grain Silvertip ammo they're proving to be more effective than anybody expected them to be.