View Single Post

Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Snap Caps is a brand name. You using these? Plastic dummy cartridges with a spring inside? They're not made to load/eject from auto pistols and will eventually wear out. Recall the typical cartridge case does this one (1) time before it's discarded.

-- Chuck
Chuck,
The snap-caps I used were not the Snap Cap brand - that's why I did not capitalize the name in my original post. The brand I used is "Traditions" - probably a bigger seller than the Snap Cap brand.

As I stated in my original post, I also tried some brand new snap-caps, and achieved the same non-functioning results.

As far as the typical cartridge case being used once and then discarded... I'm afraid a few hundred thousand reloaders might disagree with you. I don't think normal wear of a regular ammo case would cause this problem - I (as well as a majority of handloaders) have handgun ammo cases that have been reloaded many times and still function properly. Ask any IPSC or IDPA shooter who reloads his own ammo (which most of them do).

Now, on the other hand, the base of the snap caps might be made of a different material (i.e., softer brass) that could possibly cause them to wear faster than regular ammo. However, that still doesn't explain the fact that my problem was also noted with brand new snap caps.

No, I think the problem lies in some dimensional difference between the snap caps and regular cartridge cases. As soon as I find my micrometer (hidden since my last engine rebuild), I''ll attempt to do a physical dimension comparison between the two.

In the meantime, I'll contact S&W and see what they have to say about the issue. I've always found their customer service personnel to be helpful.