View Single Post

Old 12-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Liked 10,535 Times in 3,918 Posts

A few years back, I had a coon living under my roof. For a few weeks I tried to live trap her, but mostly caught neighborhood cats. One day I caught her out of doors, on top of the roof. My neighbor, a carpenter who had once been a left-handed pitcher in the Astros farm system, thought he was going to get her with a thrown hammer. He missed a couple of times, but managed to chase her down off the roof. She scurried down my arbor vitae and ran up into a big elm tree.

I borrowed a .22 rifle from another neighbor. Discharging the firearm in my municipality is illegal, but it was worth the risk of a ticket to get rid of that coon. My first two shots hit the branch she was sitting on, which screened her pretty well. The third shot dropped her about 50 ft. out of the tree and into my yard. Shot in the head up through her throat, I am pretty sure she was dead when she hit the ground, but she thrashed for a minute or more.

She left a bunch of babies under my roof. I could hear them crying off and on for a day or so before they went quiet. They smelled for a while, but not too bad or too long.