View Single Post

Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM

Liked 17,163 Times in 2,909 Posts
Default James Dean, Marylin Monroe, Elvis. Why The Big Deal?

I just read a used bio on Dean because i'm fascinated with the way people are immortalized and why. I was curious what it was while he was alive that would lead towards such legendary status. Personally, I don't get off on putting celebrities or so caled celebs on pedistals. I don't even believe in asking "stars" for autographs. There just seems like something weird about elevating celebrities based on superficial accomplishments. Years ago we were coming up Highway 5 and on impulse took the Dean route east to his point of destiny, stopping at the intersection where the crash occured. We did it just for the macabre fascination of it. But why all the memoirbilia and legend to this day? Is it because he died so young and will forever be young. People we don't know die all the time tragically and when he died soldiers were dying in the Korean war and coming home maimed. Dean, Marylin Monroe, Elvis, and Michael Jackson all died pretty young. Was it because they had so much promise? but to do what. Make music and movies? When someone told me michael Jackson died I said, "Michael Jackson the singer? He died? Hmm." Then thought about other stuff.