View Single Post

Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Liked 6,937 Times in 3,308 Posts

only a few have had the will, and the environment to do any sort of ballistics testing.
My research is incomplete as I kept running out of targets.
let me share a few findings.
My targets were limb rats and bunnies, calibers of 30, and 44.
first string was 3 loads for 30-06 using cast bullets at a velocity of 800 fps
150 grain flat point, 180G rn and a 200G rn of identical profile as the 180, only longer.
with velocity common the 180 and 200G bullets never earned a "pop and drop" kill on a rabbit while the 150G flat point would do so one out of four.
nest step was all three bullets then loaded to 1050 FPS
this improved the ratios to where both the 180 and 200 grain RN designs would leave a rabbit where you shot it about 30% of the time while the 150G flat point would leave a cripple out of every seven.
seemed weight had no impact upon results but the point design most certainly did and velocity also contributed.
enter the caliber of 44 with a 215 grain swc loaded to just 750 FPS ... it never failed to plant a bunny. its performance was absolute despite being mostly equal in weight to the heaviest 30 cal and less speed, the value of the bore alone trumped all.
next would have been a battery of tests to include 32, 38 and 40 cal. however the garden was made safe before all could be resolved, and the requisite ice in my veins thawed when the bumper crop of bunnies was replaced by a hoard of kittens thus ending any further research.

what I do have is this.
the only energy that counts, is that energy deposited in the target. the flat points did put more of that energy into the subjects.
diameter must not be discounted. big bores smash things with brilliant results even when they are at a velocity and energy disadvantage to a small bore.

from this, I must go with 45 over 40 as the effect of bore diameter is just too marked to ignore.