Thread: Rifle calibers
View Single Post

Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Liked 521 Times in 220 Posts

I have both the 7mag and the 7mm-08 and as mentioned, they're two entirely different animals. My first 7mm was the Mag. and I used it for deer, antelope and especially elk. As a one gun battery it worked quite well. Later after I got married and my new bride wanted to hunt, I bought a Rem 788 in 7mm-08 for her which is a lot smaller, doesn't have near the recoil and hence, not nearly the downrange performance of the 7mag. BUT, for deer and antelope, it is a marvelous cartridge. She never shot an elk with it but I'm sure under the right circumstances that wouldn't have been an issue.

Our daughters both grew up hunting and the 7mm-08 was their starter rifle. They've since migrated to others but I can't imagine a more compatible cartridge for beginners or those that can't tolerate a lot of recoil. If I were in your position, I'd pick it up. Once you have it, you'll find a use for it. i.e. take one of the young people from your church deer hunting. What a better accomplishment then introducing someone new to a great sport.

Regards