Thread: Rifle calibers
View Single Post

Old 12-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

I see people posting offers of wanting to sell or trade relatively expensive hunting rifles regularly. They tend to sit and the postings get recycled over and over until the seller either gives up or takes it to the pawn shop. The hunting rifle market has taken on aspects of the new truck market - shiny and new is what people want every couple of years.

There ends up being two chunks of the market. The people who buy nice rifles periodically and want something new, and then the people who have inexpensive rifles (and sometimes sell them back to the pawn shop after deer season).

The current economy has also created a bit of a contraction in calibers that are easy to sell. While some magnum offerings still raise eyebrows, in many parts of the country trying to find a buyer for any chambering not seen regularly at Walmart can be a bit of a problem. Witness having to ask "What is a 7mm-08" when the 7mm-08 is a comparatively well known and accepted caliber. That suggests in a given part of the country, other people would have the same question and the gun would sit.

The Browning in question is likely an adequate rifle in an adequate medium bore caliber. (I used to have a 7mm-08 chambered Remington Model Seven. I'd gotten a lot of the ammo cheap so bought a rifle thus chambered.) It would not be what I'd think of an investment. Unless one is already set up to reload a given caliber (and sometimes even then) hunting rifles tend to be a bit pricey to feed which limits the "fun" shooting factor. Meanwhile they usually aren't accurate enough to satisfy those looking for that extra edge in theoretical paper punching groupdom.