Thread: Rifle calibers
View Single Post

Old 12-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Liked 336 Times in 138 Posts

[QUOTE=GatorFarmer;136257524The Browning in question is likely an adequate rifle in an adequate medium bore caliber. (I used to have a 7mm-08 chambered Remington Model Seven. I'd gotten a lot of the ammo cheap so bought a rifle thus chambered.) It would not be what I'd think of an investment. [/QUOTE]

In this case, I am not into reloading but rather catering to buying the nicer guns than found at WalMart, Target or Joe's Gun Shop. If I can get them at a decent price, I will do so and then one day possibly sell them for a profit. If I pay $500 for a gun, I can usually get $800 or more for it. To me, that is an investment.

Most all my guns are investments. If I put $100K into a IRA, then I have to pay tax on it when I take the money out. There are also risks in having an IRA.

If I put the same amount into guns, being careful to purchase what will sell, I can pretty much figure I will double my money, there will be no taxes to pay on the profit and there is always a demand for firearms.

Back 20 yrs ago, I would be using some of my guns to hunt with but at my age, the hunt is not as enticing. A person can only shoot so many animals before they tire of it. So, other than a handfull of guns, my guns will one day be for sale, just likely by my heirs.