Thread: Rifle calibers
View Single Post

Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 AM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
If I put the same amount into guns, being careful to purchase what will sell, I can pretty much figure I will double my money, there will be no taxes to pay on the profit and there is always a demand for firearms.

Back 20 yrs ago, I would be using some of my guns to hunt with but at my age, the hunt is not as enticing. A person can only shoot so many animals before they tire of it. So, other than a handfull of guns, my guns will one day be for sale, just likely by my heirs.
I understand the logic. I suppose to be more precise, I wouldn't consider a Browning 7mm-08 to be a "good" investment in so far as guns go. Resale value isn't great, and at best it might keep up with inflation - hence my initial statement about what I've observed regarding the market for hunting rifles.

A Browning hunting rifle isn't going to hold its value, or appreciate in value, the way something like a historic firearm or even limited production modern item (Colt 1911 for example) will. Not many people collect random hunting rifles, and while I'm sure that some people collect Brownings, it would help to have a rare variant if you hoped to turn it over for a profit one day.