View Single Post

Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Now to the creme de la creme, the 10XX family, (there was a brief flirtation with some vaporware called a Bren or something like that way back in the 80s that was supposed to be all that but never came to pass) particularly the 1006. The gun that was made for the 10mm and made the 10mm. That is until the female and sissy men agents of the FBI complained and the mighty 10 was watered down to the 40 Short and Weak level causing the case to be shortened so it could fit in a smaller frame giving us the most desired round in LE today, little do they know, but I digress. No connoisseur of things Smith & Wesson can call themselves complete until they possess a 10 series.
Actually, I believe that the Dornhaus & Dixon Bren Ten was the father of all 10mm's. Started production in '83 and ended in '86 with bankruptcy. Tried to be ressurrected by Peregrine but that failed. Shortly thereafter, Colt came out with the Delta Elite and Springfield with the Omega. S&W introduced the 1006 in 1990 I believe and then it got watered down for the FBI to 40 S&W. I have both a DE and an Omega. Would love to get a 10XX series. Would also love to get a Bren Ten (less than 1500 made), but they are a C&R and pricey and also had some slide QC issues so need to be checked (e.g., x-ray and magnaflux) before shooting. Vltor is said to be working on a new Bren Ten but production has been delayed almost 4 years now and folks are dubious as to whether it will happen. But Colt brought back the DE and Glock is churning out 20s and 29s. Long live the 10mm!