View Single Post

Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,127 Times in 4,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLNC View Post
As I've learned more and more about S&W revolvers, I continue to be perplexed by the fact of "oversized throats" on certain revolvers, particularly 25-2s and 25-5s. My question is why did S&W do this? Surely they had the capability of sizing throats properly? What was their thinking?
Years ago I had a Lyman reloading manual that had fairly good drawings of the various cartridges. These drawings showed a loaded round (bullet seated - not just the cartridge case) and the drawings indicated for the bullet diameters:
.44 Magnum - 0.432"
.45 Colt - 0.456"
I always assumed these numbers were probably contemporary "maximum ammunition" numbers for those cartridges, and that would certainly explain why S&W Model 29s were not uncommon with 0.432-0.433" throats and Model 25 (.45 Colt) revolvers sometimes had 0.457" throats, sometime even larger.

If one knew the exact chronology of any dimensional changes to those cartridges (particularly when SAAMI took control of them) and could index that information with tooling specifications used by S&W for production of their revolvers, it would probably tell us a lot.

I have never seen anything similar that might explain the large exit bores in Model 25-2 (.45 ACP) revolvers, so I have always wondered if possibly .45 Colt jigs, fixtures, and tools were not used to produce those cylinders before they were chambered for .45 ACP cartridges? That matter is a mystery, to me.

As to "capability," I feel certain you can be sure S&W could make the tools and maintain the size and tolerance of any feature they cared to in the manufacture of their revolvers.

Last edited by M29since14; 12-28-2011 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: