View Single Post

Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Liked 4,294 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
You raise a very important point. I would also like to be able to see groups on targets (the majority of shooting will be at paper) so would a variable be a better choice? I guess I am worried that the higher magnification will be difficult to sight and keep steady. As mentioned, the slightest movement and and the the crosshairs are all over the place.
I've found the best way to see the hits on target is to spend a bit of money on the shoot-n-c stickers. Now, 50 yards is a long poke even with a 2X scope and to be honest it's a long poke with even a 10X scope if your shooting a small caliber. I'd suggest you look into a spotting scope and a cheap benchtop tripod for it.

As for shooting for groups, I've been considering the purchase of a Nikon Encore 2.5-8x28 EER. The problem for me is the cost, it's a 310 dollar scope and likely another 60-80 bucks for mounting rings. I can buy a lot of ammo for near 400 bucks. At 2.5X the magnification should be low enough to allow decent stability in the field with some type of improvised support and you can dial it up to 8X when shooting from a proper benchrest. Basically, I'm at the point where I want one but not enough to actually go out and purchase it.