View Single Post

Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default 250 gr. cast bullets for .45 Colt

I have two boxes of 500 rds. each of cast 250 gr. round nose flat point lead bullets. Both boxes are marked 0.452" dia. They were cast by two different companies, both of whom are no longer in business.

I have loaded about 100 rounds from each box using either 7.0 gr. Bullseye or 6.8 gr. Green Dot. Both of the loads were accurate and pleasant to shoot, fed and ejected easily from an Old Vaquero and a Winchester Mod. 94. Neither load showed any signs of elevated pressure.

The chambers of the Vaquero measure 0.452- 0.452+ in. using a Starrett (sp?) Small Hole Gauge and a Starrett Dial Caliper.

Last week I was bored and measured the diameters of the .45 Colt cast bullets. They measured between 0.455" and 0.458". I was surprised and measured a larger sample with the same result. I measured all of my other bullets, both jacked and cast, but they were of the diameters noted on the box. I checked the calipers with a standard and they were within cailbration. Used a second dial caliper, a Mitutoyo, with the same results.

I don't have a bullet sizing die and I don't think that saving 1000 .45 bullets would justify its purchase.

What is your experience with shooting oversize cast lead bullets? My loads were admitedly mild do you think that it is safe to continue shooting these bullets with similar mild loads? Do you know of anyone who would run these through a bullet sizer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Bill