View Single Post

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Liked 106 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmitch View Post
Heads up here. I would use nothing but a commercial self defense load. If you ever have to use your weapon, the prosecuting attorney will make self loaded rounds a huge issue.And there is huge chance you will wind up in some legal battle, criminal or civil. You all may think (including me) that we can produce the best rounds for our needs but remember, the shooting is only the first battle. The second round is fought in the courts. This was stressed at our CCW class. Just for your consideration. Thanks for the look.
I agree with you 100%, but I don't trust factory ammo when my life is at stake. I've had rounds not go bang before. Dud primers I guess. BTW that's one of the reasons I like a revolver for SD, if a round doesn't ignite I can pull the trigger and have a fresh round under the hammer.

I guess I *could* buy some factory ammo, pull it down and change the primers out, but then it's a handload.

The small boutique ammo companies only sell max loads for my SD caliber, .41 Magnum. For instance Buffalo Bore has a 265 gr. cast at 1350 fps, a Keith 230 gr. at 1450 fps, and a 170 gr. hollowpoint at 1650 fps. Too much steam for me.

If they made a 210 cast at 950, like the old police load, I'd buy it.