View Single Post

Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,701 Times in 2,623 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The S prefix on your .38 revolver is found only on M&P guns from the late 1945-early 1948 period. That serial number points to late 1946.

The other gun would have probably shipped in 1956. A couple of years later, guns of this pattern were referred to as the Model 10, after S&W went to numerical model designations for its entire product line.

Don't worry about the numbers you see on the hidden frame surfaces that become visibie only when you swing the cylinder out. At the time your guns were produced, numbers found there are merely temporary process control numbers that have no utility or meaning when the serial number is stamped on the gun and its parts. In subsequent years, serial numbers were stamped in this area, as well as model numbers, but that wasn't happening in the 1940s and 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llebouef View Post
I inherited from my father a Blue 38 Special S&W CTG with a 4" barrel, 6 shot, serial number S 8493**. Trying to do some research on the age approximate date of manufacture but I am stumped by the "S" prefix. It has what appear to be original walnut grips and when I roll out the cylinder, I can see the letter K stamped and the numbers 18035 stamped underneath. The serial number on the cylinder and the butt match.

I also inherited a Nickle 38 S&W CTG, 6 shot with a 4" barrel serial number C 3586**. When I roll out the cylinder on that one, it has a P stamped with the numbers 44380 underneath and underneath those numbers is stamped a 0.

Tried to attach a picture of each. Can anyone help with approximate Date of manufacture of these?