View Single Post

Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 PM
US Veteran

Liked 249 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgust View Post
I realize it is not a S&W related question, but I take a chance.

I finally broke down and bought a new Armalite 5.56 NATO. I plan to reload it on my 550B and if things go well, perhaps move it to the 650. I will use regular hornady 223 brass.

I know a few people on this forum reload for the black gun, so I have two short questions for you:

1) What do you use for bullets? I was planning to use 69 gr HPBT, but is it a good choice for a short 16" barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 9?

2) Am I too optimistic in thinking to eventually use the 650B machine to reload the 223 cartridge?

Regards,
Guy-
Sir, the vast majority of my AR loading was for high power competition, and I mostly used Sierra Match Kings: 77s for the 200- and 300-yard lines and 80s seated long for 600. This was for a 20-inch rifle with a 1:8 twist barrel. I did run a few of my 77-grain loads through a 16-inch carbine with a Wilson 1:9 barrel, and they grouped fine. I'm told that not all 1:9 barrels will stabilize 77s or even 75s. You should be fine with 68s or 69s.

With the case prep involved in bottleneck rifle cartridges, you can't really get the full "progressive-ness" out of a progressive press with rifle loads that you can with straight-wall pistol loads. You can still use the big Dillon, but at minimum you'll have to remove the case after full-length resizing to wipe off the case lube, and as long as you're at it, that's also a good time to clean the primer pockets, do any necessary trimming, etc. Once the case prep is done, then you can use the press as usual for powder charging, bullet seating, and (if you wish) crimping.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.