View Single Post

Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 PM

Liked 2,141 Times in 770 Posts
Default NOT IME...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
69gr is a bit heavy for 1.9 twist. 62gr will work better.I stay with 55gr Hornady FMJBT. Cannot remember the powder charge and am not at home right now.
I reload using a Dillon 550B and/or a Lee Classic turrett. It is not practical to use a progressive press with a bottle neck cartridge that is being loaded for use in an AR platform as the case needs to be full length resized and then trimmed, etc, etc before dropping powder, seating, and crimping.
I also find that I can buy 55gr FMJ ammo by the case for about 5 cents per round more than it cost me to reload it. Don't know why I continue to reload that caliber.
Either your getting expensive components, or you've got a great line on ammo. If I was to take the money for a case of 55 gr FMJ ammo I could buy Nosler 75gr OTM and be loading match quality rounds at a good savings. Your experience is not at all what mine is.

Agree on the case prep, I found it much better to size/decap all the cases first, then trim if necessary, and then back to the 550 with a universal decapping die in first position. Trying to do it all in one go did not produce good results

For the OP, Midway has bulk 55FMJ on sale quite often, and for practical rifle should work just fine. I load the heavier weights, but all of my guns are 1:7 or 1:8 twist, and work well with the 69-77gr weights. A standard 1:9 may or may not stabilize heavier bullets, but 55gr in your gun should let you shoot the eye out of fly at 50M. Enjoy your new EBR

Last edited by 2hawk; 12-31-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: sp