View Single Post

Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well, you don't need the longer/heavier bullets for 200yd shooting. IMO, best bang for your $$ are the 55gr FMJ from Hornady. Buy thru Wideners & they are $72/K. Very good bullet for 300yds or less.
I'm loading my ammo on a 550B using RCBS X-dies. No case trimming after the initial setup (supposedly) I have one test batch of 24 that I am monitoroing to see if I get any significant stretch. Use Hornady OS case lube & you don't have to remove case lube either, making progressive loading a better deal. I could set my 650 up for the 223, but hoonestly, I don't need the speed advantage as I only shoot about 100rds of 223 a month. I can load 400rds an hour easily on the 550B.
Fred is giving you some good advice here. You don't need heavy bullets to hit 200 yards with accuracy. I use 55 grain Winchester FMJ to do local 3 gun matches. They are pretty cheap. I have not had good results with Accorr (I believe that is how they are spelled - even cheaper than Winchesters from Midway). My AR is also 1 in 9 twist. I load on a Dillon 550. Powder selection is important. The Dillon dispenses H335 great. I use 23 grains under the 55 grain bullet in (usually) Lake City brass.
As a side note, I have had to switch to small base dies for proper feeding in my AR. I did not get the X-die. I am interested to hear Fred's long term results with his X-Die.
Good shooting,
Mark