Thread: Remington 513-T
View Single Post

Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno View Post
when I was in high school in the middle 1960's there was a rifle team and a range in the basement of the building. I believe the 22 rifles were "on loan" from the army and they may have supplied the ammo for all I know. the rifles I believe were Remingtons with the heavy barrels. I don't remember the model number after all of these years. I wonder where the rifles are at or even if people realize there was an indoor rifle range in the basement. times have changed I guess.
About the same time I was in ROTC in Houston. Our range was in the ROTC "shack"...no basements in Houston! We qualified with 513Ts and had Remington 40Xs for the rifle team, all property of the Army via the Houston Military Property Custodian.

In 1967, I coached the girls rifle team. We used the 513T because it was just a little lighter and the LOP was about 1/2" shorter than the 40X. The 40X was the "prestige" rifle, but the 513Ts shot just as well.

My last "offical act" as a high school student was to submit a serial numbered items report to the ROTC Commandant. I still have a copy of it some where (a carbon copy...anyone remember those?). I remember the weapons section listed 103 M1s, 5 M1 carbines, 6 40Xs, 7 513Ts, 1 3.5 in rocket launcher, and 1 1919A4 Browning maching gun.

Those days are long gone and will never return.