View Single Post

Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Vendor

Liked 2,908 Times in 441 Posts

I'll take a run at your question. The most obvious difference is the carved pattern on the Keasarge compared to the checkering on the Roper, both are there to help with traction but accomplish it in a different way. The Kearsarge generally is a more straight sided grip with little or no flair at the base. The Roper generally has a more contoured side and noticeable flair at the base. The Kearsarge usually lacks any palm swell while the Roper almost always has it. Every set of both makers grips are different when examined closely. In my opinion the Ropers are much better made showing great consistency in internal wood work, the Kearsarge sets I've examined vary quite a bit inside and it's not unusual to find hidden repairs that I'm fairly certain were done during the making of the grips. I say this because in my early grip making attempts I did some of the same corrective repairs. With all that said I think both makers grips are beautiful examples of each artisans work, highly collectable and valuable, I'm inspired by every set that I see and am lucky enough to handle. Again, just my thoughts on the subject.

Keith