View Single Post

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked 8,859 Times in 3,534 Posts

Rule3,

This is one time I will break my cardinal rule of reading every response post before making a comment.

Different compilers of reloading data have different criteria for determining what they will list as maximum date. Believe it or not, pressure often is not the limiting factor, particularly where Lead bullets are involved whether cast or swaged. It may be leading in their test series or simply an arbitrary "If they want more they can use jacketed bullets".

This is an excellent example of this. I rarely load .44 Magnum to anywhere near maximum performance loads simply because my arthritic and battered hands don't get along well with a lot of recoil. When I do it is with 2400, however Unique is much more often used, or something in the same burning rate range. What I can tell you is that 7.0 gr. Unique with any cast bullet does not even begin to approach maximum pressure levels. I routinely load 9.2 gr. with the 429421 and this isn't close to what is acceptable. Even in .44 Special with the same bullet I generally load 7.2 to 7.5 gr with the same bullet.

I don't think it would be a good idea to exceed the 11.0 gr. that has been mentioned, but in .44 Magnum it certainly is not an excessive load with a 240-250 gr. bullet.