Thread: 460 vs 500
View Single Post

Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
You may want to find a friend or range that will let you try a .460 or .500 first, especially if you do not reload. You may decide the "big powerful handgun" you want is a .44 Magnum of some type, for which you can buy ammo at Wal-Mart and shoot .44 Specials.
Good advice murphydog. I don't know your background sir but 95% of the people I know who own .44 mags cannot shoot them with any accuracy at all. If you can't handle a hot 240 gr. .44 magnum you will not do well with either of the two boomers.

I've been shooting big bores since I was 17. Developed a terrible flinch that took years to overcome. I've never shot a .500 but did shoot a .460. Should have worn my PAST shooting glove. What a whopper as they have some heavy recoil and was louder than heck even with double hearing protection on. Think one would lose some hearing very quickly hunting with one without protection.

I'll stick with my .41 mags loaded hot with heavy bullets thank you. If I need a handgun for an animal my .41's will take anything on North America, but I'd be using a rifle for any animal that bites back (bears) and have my .41 as a last ditch weapon.

My hats off to the few who can acurately shoot a cylinder full of .460's or the .500's wthout flinching! Just too much gun for me.

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 01-05-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: addition