View Single Post

Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
That's why DA/SA suck as a carry handgun. The first round requires a 10+ lb pull, then the second round requires a long slack pull before you hit resistance of half or less of the first round. I've seen very few people who can accurately put a double tap downrange at 7 yards with the first two rounds a DA/SA.
This is a great point, the flip side though is simplicity and accuracy (after the first shot). With a DA/SA you pull the trigger and it goes bang every time. With SAO you need to turn the safety off, with training that works for some but it doesn't always work for me. I say this based on the number of deer, duck and clay pigeons I've lost when I went to pull the trigger and couldn't because the safety was on. I've thankfully never had that happen in a handgun but it is safe to think the trend would translate in a self defense situation. I will give up the accurate first shot for the simplicity of no safety to fool with.

I do own two SAO handguns but they are plinking "range queens" for any carry or self defense work I use either a DA/SA auto or a revolver.