Thread: 460 vs 500
View Single Post

Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have a 460 and I love it, it is honestly one of the most fun guns I have to shoot. Recoil is not bad with the weight of the frame and the muzzlebrake. Muzzleblast is pretty intense though, still enjoyable. I picked the 460 because it has a flatter trajectory and reloads can be made for about .40 cents a piece total for a 240 gr XTP MAG. Also, I have heard from people that have shot it and a 500 (I have never shot a 500), that recoil is much more manageable with the 460, makes sense because of the lighter bullet.

You can hunt anything in NA with the .460 or the .500

BTW, cordite, the .460 shoots the same caliber bullet as the .454 casull, just a different case. Thats why you can shoot them and .45 colt in the same chamber, because they all use .452 bullets.

In addition, I tried shooting .45 Colt in it and it's not worth it. Yeah, it works, but the mess it makes in the chambers and the required cleaning before putting any full length cartidges back in there was not worth it. I ended up getting a Ruger blackhawk for when I want to shoot .45 Colt. It was funny though, .45 Colt coming out of that XVR barrel felt like a .22LR, I actually had to look down the barrel to make sure the bullet had exited it felt so weak.

Last edited by folkenheath; 01-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: