Thread: 460 vs 500
View Single Post

Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Liked 476 Times in 279 Posts

One has to question why they want/need a .460 or .500 before they can decide which one is correct for them. I went back and forth between the two, shot both and after more thought and research went with the .460 because it filled the niche in my gun collection better. My primary use is for deer/black bear and at the range. Since I handload, I do not need to shoot other calibers when I want to shoot reduced recoil loads, I just download my .460 cases. Most of the time, unlike factory ammo, there is no difference in cost, so I just shoot what I hunt with at the range. Even handloading. when buying commercial bullets, appropriate .45 caliber bullets are much cheaper than .50 caliber. I can reload my .460 once I have the brass for the same amount as a .45LC. My experience shooting deer with my X-Frame shows me I have no need for anything bigger than 300gr nor do I need to go any faster than 1600fps. Now if I was hunting dangerous game such as Cape Buffalo or elephants, I might feel the need for a bigger hole and 700 gr ammo. At the range the .460 gives me more than enough attention from the other shooters there. The smaller cost of ammo gives me more ammo to shoot. No matter how deep our pockets, most of us have a limit to what we can spend on ammo. The more shots we get for that budget, the more shooting we get. That generally means more fun. For those that feel the .500 is more appropriate for them, I'm sure they have good reasons. Neither gun is one that should be bought without serious consideration, becasue they are serious firearms. Those that buy them on a whim generally have them for sale very quickly with relatively few rounds thru them.

Last edited by buck460XVR; 01-07-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Like Post: