View Single Post

Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Liked 1,003 Times in 349 Posts
Default This thread moved me away from my Revolver and towards Duty Glock 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrduke2010 View Post
OP with responses by me after "-": The revolver advantage is that you don't get confused by the safety in an emergency, - not an issue with a Glock
there is a lot less chance of it jamming, yeah, but just barely
and you can just point and shoot. - Same with Glock
There is a lot less risk of it firing if dropped although automatics now have a safety for that. - Again, not an issue with a Glock

The automatic has a lot larger round capacity, - double to be exact over an 8 shot revolver.
it is easier to reload with magazines, - Yup, but not by much with match grade moon clips.
it has a safety to help protect the shooter with hammer drop, and it can be a lot more compact and flatter than a revolver. - What hammer?
The big drawbacks are a load jamming in the chamber possible making your weapon unusable, - Have not had an issue since first duty block, I am on number 4.
the possibility of it going off it is dropped unless your pistol has safeties for this which many of the new weapons have, - No more likely.
and in an emergency situation less advanced shooters can forget, in a high pressure situation, to load the chamber or take off the safety. - Always carry Condition 1, and safety not an issue with Glock.
Okay, this post has a lot of overly generalized assumptions, and in totality, the thread ended up moving me towards my Glock:

Stuff I use on duty aside, from S&W I have purchased four revolvers and two semi-autos (PC 627 5", 617, PC 629, PC 627 2.625", 1911 Commander, PC 1911 melonite).

I occasionally carry a PC 627 with the 2 5/8 inch barrel in a Galco Combat master holster; I also carry my duty Glock 22 of course in a duty holster, but also in a Galco Cop II concealed. The issue for me carrying concealed with the PC 627 originally was not so much the size, it was the stinking weight, the recoil, and the capacity.

To have reasonable fire power with 8 rounds in the PC627 I carry Speer Short Barrel .357 giving me 290 Lbs. in muzzle energy. This is a manageable load for follow-up shots (unlike say some other Speer and Federal Premium .357 loads with over double the muzzle energy).

Problem is, I look at my duty Glock 22 (.40) with the Federal Premium 180 grain loads at 392 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy, and all of a sudden I have more energy, less recoil, faster follow-up shots, more accuracy, DOUBLE the capacity, better concealment, and my pants aren't being pulled down.

I'm not far geographically from the off-duty OIS that happened up in or around Nashville a year or so ago when he was 3 on 1 in a motel lobby shoot out. The off-duty officer prevailed shooting all three armed robbers, but the difficulty to survive goes way way up if the officer had been packing a 686 or PC 627. Then last month in NYC, there was an armed crew of nine people robbing drug dealers that thank God two arresting officers happened upon just two of the guys when the balance of the crew happened to be at another location, and they learned about the full crew through interrogation, then the rest were arrested with planned overwhelming force.

I carry the Glock more and more, and on duty I wouldn't carry a revolver if I could although I used to think I would. I love my 627 PC, but it is increasingly relegated to a hunting side arm with full load .357 Federal Premium A Frames. And it may eventually be sold and replaced by a Wilson Combat Elite 1911 even with the capacity loss.

My son belongs to the Army, has competed successfully both with long guns and hand guns, he loves M-4's, M-9's are okay, the M-24, and he would love a boutique grade 1911 such as Wilson, Nighhawk, or Baer. Revolvers are not even part of his peer's discussion - revolvers for them are like black powder for us. A cool connection to fire-arm history, but just that: history. They're probably right.

Last edited by dwever; 01-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.