View Single Post

Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikkie View Post
hey Swissman
I was looking for more information on the .38 special Astra (longer barrel) and found this thread. I am from South Africa and I am the new owner of the exact same type of revolver as in your picture. I will attach a photo as soon as I can. I inherited it and unfortunately have no information at all on it. I was looking for more info on it, can you maybe help. Approximate year of manufacture? What was it made for? Why the longer barrel? Best ammo to use?
Thanks
Frikkie

Frikkie-

Welkom!

I'm not Swissman, but have the late David W. Arnold's, "Shoot a Handgun", which was first published in South Africa, before David moved here to work for Petersen Publications. It does picture an Astra, and I think the book appeared in the 1970's. As you presumably know all too well, the US and other gutless nations imposed an arms embargo on your country in those days, but most types got there, via various means.

The longer barrel was very popular for target shooting, which is the purpose of this model. It was normally made with a selective double action, like most revolvers. Shorter barrels were available. This parallels the S&W M-14 with six-inch barrel and their M-15, the same basic gun with a four-inch barrel that also tapered.

I don't know Spanish proof house standards, so can't comment on the ammunition. I'm sure that standard velocity .38 Special is okay, maybe Plus P. Some of these were made in .357 Magnum caliber, and were proofed for that round.

If you can carry openly, the six-inch barrel will not be a problem, and it would suffice as a house gun, especially if yours is not this SA-only target model. If you can shoot small game there, or snakes, the .38 is ample, with the right loads. The .357 version will take the smaller buck, like Springbok, and bail you out of any difficulties with a python or Nile monitor lizard. I think the Afrikaans name is leguuan, if I spelled that right. (My Afrikaans is largely limited to Welkom, Tot Siens, Dankie, and Mooie Meisie. ) Hope I spelled that last right. Been awhile since I saw it in print. Means "prettty girl". Or, so a book glossary said... I need to remember that in case I ever meet model Candice Swanepoel signing autographs in a Victoria's Secret shop...Might impress her that I can speak any Afrikaans at all.

Swissman can probably tell you the caliber marked on the barrel, or it should appear on your gun. I'd be interested to know if you have the SA-only model, or regular DA and if yours may be a .357. The six-inch barrel gives an improved sight picture and higher velocity than shorter barrels. It is not inherently more accurate, but the added weight helps to hold the gun more steady.

BTW, we have another South African member, but he mostly posts in the forum for guns made from 1896-1961. His name is Peter.

Tot Siens,

T-Star