View Single Post

Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaus18 View Post
Do you have a holster that can accommodate the laser tactical light? If so could you share where you picked it up?

Sure, I have a Verdian subcompact/compact green laser--tactical light combo, which fits neatly on my M&P 40c, it doesn't even extend beyond the end of the barrel. It works spendidly and looks very neat I think--as pictured here-- you may judge:

Viridian C5L Gun Laser Sights | Viridian Green Laser Gun Sights

I Have a TacLoc holster, purchased from the same company, although as with the laser-light it's available for less at other retailers. I've written a bit here about the Veridian line and green versus red lasers, how Crimson Trace is making green lasers for tactical rifles, etc, so I won't go into that here. CT makes some great lasers and like Veridian, they're a bit pricey and each has pros and cons. Some of that Chinese made stuff is junk.

If you want more info, look it up here, on-line or PM me. Veridian also sells a proprietory holster, the above mentioned TacLoc, for the S&W M&P as equipped with their lasers-tactical lights under the name TacLoc:

TacLoc for M&P w/ C5 Gun Laser Sights | Viridian Green Laser Gun Sights

First of all, the holster's made by Blackhawk--more about that in a bit....The holster retails for $49.00, but as mentioned, can be found for less on Amazon.com, among other places on-line.

I got one of the first ones and I felt it needed some work, with it being overly tight and the feel of the retention clip device wasn't 'quite right', so I sent it back.

It came back and I'd give it a 95%. As far as I know, it's the only commercial, 'out of the box' holster that fits my 40c with the laser/light--mine's the Verdian C5L. I don't know how it might fit M&P's with other lasers, laser--lights--Veridian could probably answer that.

I have liked the BlackHawk Serpa holsters for a while. I like how I can put, for instance, my Glock 27 and Glock 17, a much longer pistol, in the same BlackHawk holster and they both stay in securely and there's no slip--you press the button, (which is where my hand/finger is already when I draw) and the gun's released very fast and cleanly.

Some might consider it splitting hairs, but with BlackHawk's Veridian/TacLoc model, my M&P 40c can move up and down about a quarter inch and more worrisome to me, you have to hold the retention button a nano second longer, as if you just tap very quickly and draw your weapon, it may relock in rare instances. I reported this and what I see as other minor fit and finish issues to Veridian when I sent it back.

They told me there "was a problem with the retention clip", but beyond that, they also fixed it so that my pistol goes in and out (once the button fully releases it) much easier. Before that, I was practically pulling my pants up and down drawing my gun and reholstering it--it was too tight, even when I loosened screws, considered loctite, etc.

I think Veridian took my long critique to heart and in all fairness, my holster was one of the first they released. I'd like to guess the newer ones are a bit improved. They took a long time releasing it--months past their initial time estimate, people were chomping at the bit waiting--maybe they needed a bit longer.

If you've never had a BlackHawk not made for TacLoc, you might think the TacLoc's great, maybe even perfect and it is pretty darn good--I was just used to my previous BlackHawks being built a bit better.

BlackHawks also have rolled edges--that's mainly a cosmetic thing, but unlike their TacLoc, you can't see the spring mechanism (wire) that is essential to the button release from the side of the holster--I even had to manually refit the spring in with a small screwdriver when I first received it.

A few hundred rounds later with my new, second holster, no more problems--it came with the spring still viewable, but in place as designed. I think the spring is secure, but the BlackHawk's still look better, fit and finish wise, besides not even showing the spring, IMO. I can draw and reholster and keep my pants on--lol.

I'm not slamming the TacLoc--as said, I'd give it a 95% and I'm very picky. Plus, my only other recourse was to have a local fellow who molds plastics, heat form a holster to my M&P w/ the C5L on it. I think there's more guys around who do that for many different guns/needs than we think, (ask around) but it will probably cost you between $70 and $120 and it won't look 'factory'. The ones I've seen fit nice, (tight but not TOO tight) but don't have a level two, secure button quick release and look a bit, shall we say, 'home made'--even 'primitive'. Your 'mileage may vary' on fit and finish acc. to the maker's workmanship.

I'd say if you want a pretty good holster and the Veridian TacLoc fits your 'rig', order one. I have found and heard from others as well, that Veridian backs its products very well--even extending their terms beyond what they state, if there's no over the top abuse. They sent me a postage paid return label quickly and have always been professional.

So if it doesn't suit you, you can return it. Who knows, picky as I am--I might yet still return it in the future if I do find that the quarter inch or so of up and down slip has been removed, making the button release as totally clean as my BlackHawks.

Most folks probably wouldn't even notice and if they did, might say 'no big deal' but I notice. But for now, other than having the local guy make a custom, non secured retention holster, as far as I know, TacLoc's the only maker that fits my 40c, C5L setup. So until there's better for a fair price, I'll keep mine.