View Single Post

Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked 15,505 Times in 6,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA10mm View Post
Rule3,
Bingo THIS:

Tom identified the discrepency that you were asking about.

If you look at enough data long enough, these head-scratcher-questions start having answers that are apparent.

The Alliant website was cut-and-pasted from their older load data, generally. Somewhere in the cut-and-pasting, the editor or copier got sloppy (or didn't know the difference, because they're not a handloader/caster) and listed swaged bullet data as "cast" data.

If you go to that same Alliant webpage for the 240gr loads, and hit the back button, and go to the 250gr cast (Keith) loads, you'll see they list up to 11.0grs for the same powder. Now, that's a heavier bullet, with a heavier load - sounds dangerous don't it? Actually, it's not, and the 11.0grs load could be used with the soft swaged bullet safely (as far as pressure goes), but you'll lead the heck out of your barrel.

So, the technicians made those loads different, and I say it's because of what Tom noted. Unfortunately, someone not so smart put the data on the website and confused things. This is what happens when humans are involved - we're just not perfect, much as we try.

So you are saying it is a typo or web site error. ?

I have the actual Alliant color "Manual" 2009 (not the on- line pdf version which might very well be the same) I see on page 68 the 240 and 250 gr Keith which you mention with the 240 still saying cast(7grs) as well as the 250 cast with 11 grains.

Their sister/brother company Speer (under ATK) manual #14 lists the 240 gr Part # 4660 with the same data.

So yes it is the swagged bullet and they need to correct their web site and manual to read as such.

However it still says cast which is why I went with Lyman Cast manual and Speer manual with the heavier 250 bullet data.

Edit: I sent them a e mail

Last edited by Rule3; 01-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.