Thread: S&W model 30-1
View Single Post

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantydog View Post
I have been unable to find out hardly anything about this snubnose revolver on the internet. It looks brand new. It must not be too common as it is a .32. Serial number is 8163XX. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have a 3"model 30-1 in practically new condition. It has checkered wood round butt grips and a beautiful polished blue finish with no wear, rust, pitting, or even a scratch. H 284200 is stamped on the butt of the grip but I'm not sure that it's the serial #, although a guy who is supposed to know the history of the 30-1 series says it is. The only other numbers are stamped on the yoke and I don't think S&W ever put serial #s there.

My wife inherited it from her mother who carried it in her car for many years before she passed away. As far as I know it was never fired by her, but her brother may have fired it a few times. I have fired approximately 200 rounds, mostly lead bullet handloads. I used load data I found in an old Handloader's Digest but reduced it by 15% just to be safe. If the velocity claimed by the writer for his maximum charge handloads is accurate mine should be good for approximately 825 - 850 fps with a 98 grain LSWC bullet.

I also made up a few rounds with the propellant weight he listed as maximum, (98 gr LSWC and 4.5 gr Unique), but I'm hesitant to fire them after being told that those little revolvers in pristine condition have considerable value as collector items.