Thread: Case cleaning
View Single Post

Old 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default clean cases

I have noticed that many forum members use tumblers-vibrators, etc to clean their brass. I have always favored a liquid case cleaner, and have gotten acceptable results using the commercial products available, but lately I have been looking around for an alternative to these relatively expensive products, wanting the cases a little cleaner than these products seem to get them.Some of these commercial cleaners require hazmat shipping, I think I remember. Anyway, I came across a thread discussing different things that can be mixed up at home, and I have gotten some positive results using citric acid, and Castrol Super Clean mixed with hot water. I am recording my results, and for the first attempt, I used 1/8 cup of citric acid, and 1/8 cup super clean in apx a gallon of hot water. I am using pool chemical jugs that are for 3 inch chlorine tabs, that I have THOROUGHLY cleaned. I put water in to the top of the lable-a little more than half full-and then add the two ingrediants, and mix them around a little. Then I put a couple hundred 45ACP cases that were pretty putrid in the solution, closed the lid tight, and shook the fire out of the whole thing. I opened the top after just a minute or so, and dipped out a few cases, and the results were amazing, even in that short a time. I decided that I would leave them in for 5 minutes on this first test, shaking them vigorously several times. After 5 minutes, I put an identical top on the jug that I had punched a series of 1/4 inch holes across 1/2 of the lid, and used this to pour off the chemicals into an I dentical jug, so I could keep the solution to see if it retained its strength-and how long;I will test it in a week or so. I took the drained jug with the brass in it and put fresh hot water in it, shook it good, and poured it out, and followed this with 2-3 cold water rinses, shaking it each time, and then dumped the brass on a cloth to dry over night. This brass was real dirty, some of it had been fired multiple times, and I use Unique. Most had been lubed with that Lee stuff that the whole bullet is rolled in, and they had all been fired out of revolvers-I threw the moon clips in with the brass. The change was dramatic. The brass looks like onced fired stuff that is in good shape. I will try a little more chemicals, and a little more time each time I clean brass until I don't see improvement that warants an increase, if there is an increase at all! Whether the stuff lasts and can be re-used will be interesting to see, but the cost of what I did today is so rediculously cheap, that I don't care; I've found my case cleaner. If you decide to try this, it's your call. I suggest you look at the ingredients and make a decision as to whether this is something you want to do, but always use all appropriate safety measures. Go safely. Flapjack.