View Single Post

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM

Liked 419 Times in 121 Posts

Well, there's at least one guy in Ohio who regularly cranks Magnums out in their 629...me. Granted, she's a 629-5 Classic DX so recoil is a bit lesser because of the full underlug and being a -5, she has the Endurance Package.

But in the 6 years I've had it, there's never been a factory load through it OR a single .44 Special fired from it. Always 240 gr. XTP's over either H110 or Unique. (I did load 50 300 gr. XTP's once but I wimped out and used Unique under 'em. Pussycats they were, and the load was shockingly accurate in my particular specimen.)
BTW, I've always used the factory Hogues. Never tried firing it while she wore the morado grips that were also included. I'm sure they would add a bit of "authority" to the recoil. Been wanting to try one of the X-frame grips on 'er.

Anyway, I've never fired less than 150 rounds at a session through it and sometimes as much as 350 when I was testing different loads (how I love my Dillon). Fortunately for myself, one of my best friends is a gunsmith and upon my hearing about the consternation about a steady diet of Magnums, I had him check my gun for endshake and any other issues from pressure. She got a clean bill of health. I was especially worried after my first batch ever using 240 gr. XTP's over 24 gr. of H110 (1/2 a grain under max.) and got sticky cases and flattened primers. I started using a tiny bit less crimp and those issues went away.

I can't speak about the earlier iterations on earlier 29's or 629's beause I don't have much experience with them other my cuz's 8 & 3/8" 29-2. But HE shot silhouette matches with it weekly back in the 1970's and we've both burnt an awful lot of powder with it and no trouble to speak of.

Quick note to the fans of shooting Specials in the 29's: To them what ain't aware, shooting a lot of Specials will eventually build a ring of residue in the chambers that will keep Magnum rounds from fitting all the way into them. If you shoot a lot of Specials in your Magnum, please be sure to run some solvent and a borebrush through the chambers before you plan a range trip with any Magnum loads.

ETA- My first .44 Magnum was a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 & 1/2". After shooting my cuz's M-29, I couldn't stand the trigger on the SRH. Pretty good accuracy with a couple of factory loads as I hadn't yet started handloading and boy, anybody that messes up a Ruger had to WANT to do it. They are tanks.

Fascinating thread.

Last edited by beach elvis; 01-16-2012 at 04:11 AM.