View Single Post

Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,200 Times in 157 Posts
Default round and round

the Mulberry Bush we go...

Dukie - when I went through the Academy we had hours upon hours of Ground Fighting techniques and offensive un-armed attack moves.

It was drilled into us over and over that once we as police officers "fight" the bad guy we've lost. The primary idea, if engaged physically, is to inflict as much damage as possible in 1 minute, disengage, and put the bad guy in cuffs.

The only "real" limiting thing between a revolver and a semi-auto pistol is capacity; most concealable revolvers are either 5 or 6 rounds whereas any "autos" can carry anywhere between 6+1 up to 17+1. I have a sub-compact 1911 that holds 6+1 and another that holds 10+1. My revolvers are older guns and don't hold 7 or 8 rounds as some of the newer ones do.

When your carry gun has less capacity then others then you better be darn accurate. We qualify quarterly at work. Part of our qual course included shooting 2 rounds to the chest and 1 to the head; twice. i.e. the fail to stop drill. If the bad guy is still standing (and attacking) after four rounds to center body mass (no vest) and two solid shots to the head you may want to think about running!

Pistols and revolvers aren't reliable enough for one shot stops (even though they do happen) - so practice marksmanship and defensive tactics on a regular basis; keep your eyes on a swivel as well scanning for threats.

Is a revolver better then a semi-auto? It really depends on who is shooting what gun.