View Single Post

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 386 Times in 111 Posts

Are you shooting the revolver single or double action? There is a big difference between the inherent accuracy of handguns and their 'shootability.' Much of this relates to trigger pull.

Most autos are hampered by their trigger pulls. I find it much easier to hit a small target at a distance with a revolver shooting it single action. I can shoot my 1911s almost as well because they are one of the few autos capable of having a finely tuned trigger (but not as good as a Smith and Wesson revolver).

I shoot revolvers double action about as well as I shoot most non-1911 autos. I hunt and hike with a revolver because I may get a medium to long shot at game and really like that crisp single-action trigger pull a Smith and Wesson revolver gives me. My Smith and Wesson 41 is my most accurate and most 'shootable' handgun I own, but it is a very 'target' orientated gun.

Almost all formal bullseye target shooting is done with autos, if that tells you anything. These particular guns, though, are often expensive and have very finely tuned triggers.