View Single Post

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
I have the 5.5" 22a-1 in all black finish with slab side and standard front sight. Mines actually not that bad. Only thing I see is there is a tiny chip in the paint on the front edge of the slide. One thing I don't really like is the huge rear sight blade which makes it kind of hard to pull the slide back. Otherwise not many complaints but I guess one thing is that you get what you pay for.

I bought a bunch of spare parts from Brownells just in case. I've read that the plastic slide insert that holds the firing pin and spring has a tendency to shatter. They are cheap so I bought a couple of them also.
I was commenting specifically on the 5.5 Hi-Viz barrel. I agree with you that "you get what you pay for", and in fact, I think with the 22A you get more bang for your buck than with any other gun. The plastic slide insert actually should not see any shattering forces, so I'm a little skeptical about that "tendency to shatter". There are only two parts on the 22A that seem to "wear out", and that would be the recoil buffer pad, which will wear more or less rapidly in proportion to the velocity of the ammo you use, and the recoil spring, which weakens slowly over time. Other than those two parts, the gun only seems to improve over time as the irregularities in the castings and machined parts get smoothed out with use.

Also note that out of three barrels, I have one that was never heat-treated, so I guess anything is possible.