View Single Post

Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 AM

Liked 331 Times in 221 Posts

I have been shooting handguns for 40 some odd years. I have also been on the Board of our Sportsman's Club for the last 31 years. I am around lots of shooters.

With centerfire handguns a revolver with good cylinder alignment will normally out shoot any stock semi auto, with a couple exceptions. With that said you can do some work on select semi auto handguns like the 1911 Colt, and make them pretty accurate also. Then we have a couple centerfire factory target guns like the S&W 38 Wadcutter gun. Forgot the model number of it. Not a gunfight gun, but a tack driver never the less.

With rimfires this is not true. We have several semi auto rimfire handguns that are plenty accurate out of the box. Ruger MK I, II, III, Colt Woodsman, Buckmark, Hi Standard, S&W 41, etc.

Accuracy is subjective. For the job at hand, how accurate does a handgun need to be. When handgun hunting I want my 480 Ruger Super RedHawk to be very accurate. I am reasonably sure I can hit your hat off sandbags at 100 yards with it.
Now at ranges of 5 feet to 25 yards, Gun Fight distance. Our main concern is getting rounds on target. Most all fullsize modern semiauto handguns are plenty accurate enough to make good body hits on silhouette targets at 25 yards. Some more accurate than others.
If I were in a hostage situation where I had to make one good shot count with a handgun, I would much rather have a revolver to attempt to make that one well placed shot.

Bob