Thread: 686 3" or 4"
View Single Post

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,149 Times in 961 Posts

I went for the 3 inch model. If I had wanted a 4 incher, I would have bought a M10 or 64, since I shoot .38 Special. I looked for a 3 inch K frame, and no luck. I did find a couple of M65's with bids over $1000 on Gunbroker, but the bids didn't even meet the reserve price. I wanted a shooter in very nice condition, not a safe queen! So I bought a new 3 inch 686 plus. The weight is very near the 4 inch K frame, less than an ounce difference, and the balance is just right. I don't think the sight radius is a factor for me, as I can see the sight pattern better than I can hold, without using a rest. The 3 inch model has the full length ejector rod, while the 2 1/2 inch doesn't. I hand load, and any velocity that I lose over the 4 inch model can be made up with a little extra powder, since the gun is Magnum rated. I just received a set of Kim Ahrends grips, and really like the combo. The gun is as accurate as I can tell. Looks good, also. As far as concealed carry goes, the extra inch does make a difference for me. I think it depends on body build and wardrobe. And the extra barrel length does make a difference in how high I need to lift my old arm to clear the high rise holster, also!

rat
The Following 2 Users Like Post: