View Single Post

Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 AM

Liked 2,308 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezer View Post
well, i'll ask the question, were red ramp and white rear sight always used together from the factory ??...
when i was collecting, when these were new in the 70's, it was somewhat of a status thing to have. you didn't see many with this option on k frames on the shelves either…
don't think i ever saw the red ramp without the white outline rear
This is an interesting conversation and thread.
My opinion and observations and anyone that knows me knows I have extreme Combat Magnum tunnel vision so… Also, nothing S&W can be stated as fact.

Yes, and no. In 1975 when the stainless sights were replaced on the Model 66, they came standard with a red ramp front sight and a plain blue rear sight blade. The white outline rear was an optional upgrade, if you will.
But, for a Model 19, if you got one with a red ramp front sight, it also had the white outline rear. They came standard with the plain blued front and rear sights, the RR/WO were an optional upgrade.
I would guess that this would also be seen in the other K-frames with target sights.

When the Model 29 (and 57 for example) were introduced, the came standard with a RR and WO, a TT and TH. Even in the 6” and 8-3/8” versions, they had a RR and WO. You could however get them with a Patridge front sight but then they had a plain blue rear sight blade.